Looking for a recipe to serve with dosas or injera? Try making simple spiced cabbage and potatoes. Mildly spiced with cumin and turmeric, it is a quick and easy side dish that can be served along side of most meals.
This simple spiced cabbage and potatoes recipe is one of my go-to recipes. My kids love potatoes so much, that they don’t mind eating a few vegetables mixed in. It’s also the sort of side dish that will work all year round, because cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onions are pretty much pantry staples. Here’s some suggested servings:
- Injera: This recipe is based off of a traditional Ethiopian filling for injera flatbread. It’s a perfect compliment to shiro wat.
- Indian Meals: My husband loves cooking Indian food, and he quickly adapted this recipe to an Indian side dish. He serves it with dahl or dosas for a quick weeknight meal.
- Add a bit of spice to a standard meat (or vegan protein) and potatoes dinner. The flavours are mild enough that it would go with pretty much everything.
Simple Spiced Cabbage and Potatoes
Looking for a quick and easy side dish? Try this simple spiced cabbage and potatoes. The warm flavours work as a side dish for most meals. Or try it as a filling for injera or dosas.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1/2 cup light vegetable oil or butter
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt, to taste
- 5 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- Place the potato cubes in a pot and bring to a boil. When they boil, turn them off and leave them in the water until ready to saute them. They will only be just starting to cook.
- Meanwhile, saute the carrots and onion for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric and cabbage. Cook another 10 minutes until spices are fragrant and the cabbage is wilted with most of its liquid boiled off.
- Add in the potatoes, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until potatoes are soft, but not mushy, about 15 minutes.
Keywords: Ethiopian, Indian, gluten free, nut free, egg free, fall, winter, spring, injera, dosa, kid-friendly