We’ve been a sugar-free family for a few years now. However, we still want to celebrate birthdays and other holidays. This sugar-free banana cake is the perfect solution. It is naturally fruit-sweetened and delicious.
Delicious Cake Flavors
Following the recipe below, without any changes to the flavoring, results in a cake that tastes a bit like banoffee pie. It has a strong flavor of banana with the caramel of dates and whipping cream.
However, sugar-free cakes are perfect for all sorts of occasions! Here are a few different ways to take this simple cake and turn it into your favorite celebration cake.
- Simple vanilla sheet cake: Looking for a basic vanilla cake? Add double the amount of vanilla extract and add the zest from one lemon.
- Strawberry cake: Certain types of parties call for a pretty pink cake. To make a strawberry cake, replace 1 of the bananas with 1 cup of chopped ripe strawberries. Puree the strawberries in the blender (it should come to around 1/3 to 1/2 cup), then stir them into the batter with the remaining bananas. This will result in a slightly runnier batter, so it may need to cook for an extra 10 minutes. Frost with a sugar-free strawberry cream cheese frosting.
- Chocolate cake: I love chocolate cake. To make a sugar-free chocolate cake replace 1/4 cup of flour with 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. Frost with chocolate avocado frosting.
- Banana bread: Make a sugar-free banana bread by adding 1 tsp of cinnamon along with 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts. Yum! It will take longer to bake in a loaf pan, so check the cake after 35 to 45 minutes.
- Banana muffins: To bake muffins or cupcakes, simple reduce the baking time to 20 to 25 minutes.
Sugar-free banana cake
Looking for a healthy birthday cake? This sugar-free banana cake is naturally fruit-sweetened. With the date frosting, it tastes like a banoffee pie. However, it can also be flavored with chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry. See the section above for more information.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- Total Time: 2 minute
- Yield: 2 x 6 inch cake pans 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Cuisine: Gluten free
- Diet: Vegetarian
Banana Sweetened Cake
- 4 very ripe bananas (approx. 1 1/3 cups mashed)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk (milk kefir or yogurt)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup of flour (I use my gluten-free blend)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
Date Sweetened Caramel Frosting
- 8 large Medjool dates, pits removed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl until relatively smooth.
- Mix in the melted butter, then the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir until everything is evenly mixed.
- Pour into two 6-inch round cake pans.
- If you are making a gluten-free cake, the texture will improve if the batter is allowed to rest for 30 minutes before baking. Otherwise, bake right away.
- Bake at 350 F for 25-35 min (until a toothpick comes out clean).
- Allow the cake to cool before frosting.
- Place the dates and the water in a blender. Be sure to remove the pits!
- Pulse until the dates have turned into a smooth paste.
- Once the dates are fully pureed, add the whipping cream and continue to blend until you have a nice thick, whipped frosting.
- The frosting needs to be kept cool. I recommend either frosting the cake right before serving or storing the frosted cake in the fridge.
- Instead of making a 6-inch layer cake, this batter will also make an 8-inch square or 18 cupcakes.
- Why not make a super healthy cake by serving it with a probiotic frosting?! To make the frosting probiotic use cultured whipping cream.
Keywords: sugar free, naturally sweetened, fruit sweetened, probiotic, banoffee cake, healthy cake, kid-friendly cake, holiday, birthday, celebration