These sourdough cinnamon rolls have the amazing flavor and texture of sourdough bread combined with cinnamon sugar goodness. Whether you make them with butter or vegan butter alternative, they are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or elevenses!
There is something about a cinnamon bun that just makes you want to curl up on the couch and slowly unravel the buttery cinnamon goodness until you reach the ooey, gooey, delicious middle.
A healthy cinnamon roll?
Generally, I follow a healthy diet based on whole grains and fruit for sweetness (unless sugar is required for fermentation). However, this recipe is written for a traditional cinnamon roll and isn’t particularly healthy. If you want to make it healthier, here are a few ways to add a bit of fiber and vitamins to these vegan sourdough cinnamon rolls.
- Use wholewheat, spelt, or light rye flour. The bun will be a little less chewy, but it will still be delicious!
- Don’t add any sugar to the dough and make a cinnamon date-filling instead of the typical sugar and butter filling. (See the section below for details).
- Serve it with a sugar-free cream cheese frosting, like a date-sweetened cashew frosting.
Cinnamon date filling
Swapping the sugar for a cinnamon date filling is an easy way to add fiber, vitamins, and minerals to these cinnamon buns. This filling is quite different from the typical cinnamon sugar filling. It results in a rich and moist bun that is more cake-like.
Here’s how to make a cinnamon date filling:
- Remove the pits from 8 Medjool dates and place the dates in a small saucepan. Add 1/4 cup of water and 2 Tbsp of ground cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add 2 Tbsp of vegan butter. Then puree the date mixture into a smooth paste. This is easiest with a good stick blender.
- Spread the filling on the cinnamon bun dough prior to rolling, then roll as described in the recipe. It’s a bit goopy, so avoid squeezing the roll to connect the layers.
- Since this spread adds so much moisture, your rolls need to bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Vegan Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls
This sourdough cinnamon roll recipe uses extra sourdough starter (or discard) for added flavor and texture. It’s easy to take this classic cinnamon roll and adapt it for a healthier version. See the section above for making a cinnamon date filling instead of the classic sugar filling.
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 rolls 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Sourdough
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 tsp of instant yeast (not necessary, but adds a bit of a boost)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar (optional, for sweetness)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (+ more, as needed)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1/2 cup packed raw brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- Mix the sourdough starter, water, and instant yeast in a large bowl. Stir in the melted butter, sugar, and salt. Then add the flour. Knead as required to bring the dough together. However, don’t over-knead as you want it to be a soft dough, not bread-like.
- Allow the dough to rise in a warm location until doubled in volume (about 2-4 hours).
- On a floured surface, gently roll the dough into a 10″ by 14″ rectangle. Brush with the melted butter then sprinkle on the cinnamon and sugar. At this point, you could also add 1/4 cup of raisins or walnuts.
- Roll the dough along the 14″ side, forming it into a tight cylinder. Squeeze gently to even out the layers.
- Slice into 12 rolls, and place them in a greased 8-inch square baking pan with the cut side down.
- Allow them to rise for another 2-4 hours, until fluffy.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F (180 C) oven for 30-40 min (until the tops are browning).
- Serving Size: 1 cinnamon roll
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 10.1g
- Sodium: 234mg
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1.8g
Keywords: breakfast, snack, dessert, egg free, dairy free, nut free, healthy, traditional, fermented, holiday, fall, winter