Fried sauerkraut is traditional pub fare at its best. It can be fried hot, until crispy or gently warmed kraut so that it is still probiotic. Regardless, it is a delicious addition to all sorts of meals.
Fried sauerkraut is a delicious way to add flavor to all sorts of pan-fried meals. Here are a few serving suggestions to get you started.
- Sauteed tempeh
- With eggs for breakfast
- Sausages and potatoes for dinner
- Grilled cheese sandwiches
- Pan-fried potatoes
What About The Probiotics?
If you are really into making fermented sauerkraut, then it might seem blasphemous to cook sauerkraut. However, pan-fried sauerkraut is still a delicious option.
The trick to not killing the friendly Lacto-bacteria is to be quick with the heat. Most Lacto-bacteria can withstand temperatures of 115 F (46 C). Here’s how to make sure your fried sauerkraut is still probiotic.
- Make sure the kraut is very dry. Wring out the excess liquid if necessary.
- Add the sauerkraut after everything else in the pan is ready to serve.
- Fry for just long enough to warm the kraut, but not until it is hot.
Fried sauerkraut is delicious with all sorts of pan-fried meals: eggs, potatoes, sausages. It’s perfect next to grilled cheese! See the section above if you want to make fried sauerkraut that is still probiotic.
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 2 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: German
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup of sauerkraut
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- Scoop 2 cups of sauerkraut out of a jar. Place it into a fine-mesh strainer to drain for at least 5 minutes.
- Use the back of a spoon to squeeze out any residual liquid.
- Warm a frying pan on medium heat.
- Start by cooking everything else that is going to be served with the sauerkraut.
- When all the other food is almost ready, take a large spoonful of sauerkraut (about 1/2 cup per person) and drop it on the frying pan.
- Fry for 2 to 4 minutes, until warmed through.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: pub food, probiotic, breakfast, dinner, lunch, snack. fall, winter, spring, vegan, gluten free, paleo, keto, whole 30, egg free, soy free, nut free, dairy free, 1 ingredient, 5 minutes or less