The holiday season is full of sugar and spice. Why not add some healthy fermented holiday recipes to keep things balanced? Here are 10 party-friendly recipes for all your winter celebrations.
Seriously… what kind of cocktail party would be complete without some pickled vegetables served next to a piece of cheese? Homemade fermented pickles adds a level of sophistication.
- Pickled cocktail onions are so much better than your usual store-bought cocktail onions.
- Try garlic flavoured carrot sticks.
- Giardiniera is Italian-style pickled vegetables.
- Mixed vegetable pickles are simple and can be made with seasonal vegetables.
- Sweet fermented cranberry sauce is delicious with turkey or brie.
- And a savoury fermented cranberry relish will add a bit of flare to your holiday meals. I love, love, LOVE it with cheese.
- Mincemeat was a traditional way of preserving fruit and nuts for the winter. It is a holiday staple, most often eaten as a tart filling. However, I enjoy mincemeat as a delicious accompaniment to a cheese board or as a filling for a shortbread thumbprint cookie.
- Homemade frothy whipped eggnog is probiotic and delicious. Sweetened to taste, a glass of homemade eggnog is my favourite holiday treat.
Probiotic Cranberry Soda
- If you brew homemade kombucha or water kefir, then flavour your second ferment with cranberries and oranges.
- If you’ve never made homemade soda pop, catch the ginger bug and flavour it with cranberry juice for your own cranberry ginger ale!
- It’s always impressive to bring a loaf of homemade sourdough bread to dinner. Why not mix it up by bringing a fig and walnut loaf?
- Or a a loaf of cheese, rosemary and onion soda bread?