The holidays are full of sugar and spice. Rich flavors and heavy meals. Why not add some healthy fermented holiday recipes to keep things in balance? Here are 12 party-friendly recipes for all your winter celebrations.
Looking to add some probiotics to your holiday diet? Here are three fermented treats that are deliciously probiotic!
- Fermented mincemeat was a traditional way of preserving fruits and nuts for the winter. It is a holiday staple, most often eaten as a tart filling. However, I also enjoy mincemeat as a delicious accompaniment to a cheese board or as a filling for a shortbread thumbprint cookie.
- Homemade frothy whipped kefir eggnog is probiotic and delicious. Sweetened to taste, a glass of homemade eggnog is my family’s favorite holiday treat.
- This caramel date sauce is made with milk kefir for a naturally sweet treat. It’s delicious as a dip or spread.
Fermented Holiday Beverages
Probiotic and fermented beverages are party-perfect. Serve with a reusable straw and slice of orange for a fun non-alcoholic drink. Or add a shot of something harder for a seasonally inspired cocktail!
- If you brew kombucha or water kefir, then it’s easy to flavor your second ferment with cranberries and oranges.
- If you’ve never made homemade soda pop before, then catch the ginger bug and make cranberry ginger ale. It’s a Canadian tradition!
What kind of party would be complete without some kind of mixed cheese and pickles platter? Homemade fermented pickles are incredibly easy to make.
- Pickled cocktail onions are so much better than your usual store-bought cocktail onions.
- Mixed vegetable pickles can be made with whatever is in season.
- Try garlic flavored carrot sticks.
Seasonally Inspired Condiments
It is handy to have a few fermented condiments in the fridge. They’re an easy addition to most holiday meals. Or serve them as a dip or spread at a holiday party!
- Sweet honey-fermented cranberry sauce is incredibly easy. A delicious alternative to store-bought sweet cranberry sauce.
- Honey mostarda is a sweet and spicy Italian condiment. It traditionally served as an accompaniment to meat.
- Savoury fermented cranberry relish is a great way to a burst of flavor to your holiday meals. I love, love, LOVE it with cheese.
- Apple spice spread can be served with sweet or savory dishes. It’s also good for a holiday breakfast or brunch!
Leave a Reply