Looking for a delicious and dairy-free alternative to sour cream? Cultured vegan sour cream starts with a vegan yogurt base to give it a thick and creamy sour cream flavor.
Why make cultured vegan sour cream?
Traditional sour cream is fermented. It’s what gives it the tangy and rich flavor. Thus, when I wanted to make a dairy-free sour cream, I knew it had to be cultured!
Here are a few reasons to consider adding cultured dairy-free sour cream to your diet:
- It’s absolutely delicious. We taste-tested vegan sour cream made with soy milk yogurt at a fajita party and everyone liked it.
- This sour cream is perfect for anyone on a dairy-free, vegan, or paleo diet. Depending on the type of yogurt you use, it can also be soy-free or nut-free!
- It is lower in fat than traditional sour cream.
- It’s always good to get more probiotics into your diet!
- DIY means it’s also zero-waste!
Vegan Yogurt Options
There are a TON of vegan and dairy-free cultured yogurts available on the market. Choosing which yogurt to use really depends on the flavor you are looking for.
Here are a few options:
- Cashew yogurt is the creamiest homemade sour cream. Best of all, it can be as thick or thin as you want.
- Soy milk yogurt has the most traditional flavor and texture. To use it for sour cream, line a strainer with 2 layers of paper towel. Then pour in the soy yogurt, and leave it to drain and thicken for 2 hours.
- Store-bought vegan yogurt is the easiest option. Just use unflavored yogurt. Also, add the salt to taste, because the store-bought yogurt may already have some added salt.
- Coconut cream yogurt has an unusual flavor. However, it is delicious with certain dishes. Try a dollop on top of curry or as a topping for a sweet treat.
Probiotic Vegan Sour Cream
This dairy-free vegan sour cream starts with a probiotic culture. The flavor is deliciously rich and satisfyingly tangy. With only 3 ingredients, it’s also super easy to make!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Fermented
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 cups thick vegan yogurt (see section above for recommended options)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- This recipe is really simple. Just mix all of the ingredients in a bowl or glass jar and serve!
- Store leftover vegan sour cream in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- I really like adding a bit more flavor to my vegan sour cream. To make this into a delicious dip that can stand on its own at a buffet table, blend in 3 spring onions (finely chopped), 1 Tbsp of miso paste, and 1 tsp garlic powder. Yum!
Keywords: cashew, soy milk, dairy-free, paleo, keto, probiotic, soy-free, nut-free, simple, 3 ingredients, 5 minutes or less