Looking for a simple and delicious way to add flavor to a meal? This carrot apple salad is fresh, tangy, creamy, and delicious. Perfect for adding a bit of zip to all sorts of dishes.
Using yogurt in the dressing makes this salad lower in fat and adds a dose of probiotics. With the natural sweetness of apples and carrots, it is a healthy side dish that everyone will love.
Creamy Horseradish Dressing
I first wrote this recipe as an accompaniment for my homemade prepared horseradish recipe.
Homemade prepared horseradish is easy, affordable, and delicious. However, it’s also fine to use store-bought horseradish as well. Just don’t use fresh horseradish which would be way too strong.
Perhaps the best alternative for horseradish is finely grated salad radish. It will provide some of the necessary tang and heat.
Carrot apple salad is perfect for adding flavor to all sorts of meals. It works as both a salad and a condiment. Here are a few serving suggestions:
- This salad is a delicious condiment for roast beef, pork or fish.
- Try it as a burger or hot dog topping.
- Serve a dollop of salad on top of mashed potatoes, baked potatoes or latkes.
- This carrot salad is a delicious topping for savoury pancakes or crepes.
- Make a M&S inspired sandwich. Serve carrot apple salad as a sandwich filling with cheddar cheese.
- Use it as a cabbage-free alternative to coleslaw with fish and chips.
Carrot Apple Salad
Looking for a way to add a bit of flavor to your meal? This quick and easy carrot apple salad is creamy, tangy, fresh, and delicious. It is delicious on its own or as a condiment. See the section above for some serving suggestions.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 3 large carrots, grated
- 1 tart apple, grated
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 Tbsp prepared horseradish (see section above for details)
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 3 Tbsp chopped chives
- Grate the carrots and apple into a salad bowl.
- Stir in the yogurt, prepared horseradish, and mayonnaise. Stir well. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle.
- Top with freshly chopped parsley and chives just before serving.
- This salad will taste best within the first 5 days.
- If you plan on serving carrot apple salad as a side dish, coarsely grate the carrots. The result will be similar to coleslaw. For a sandwich filling, use a fine grater so that it is not as chunky.
- I usually don’t bother peeling the apple in this salad. The skin is a great source of fiber and adds to the overall texture.
Keywords: condiment, sandwich filling, picnic, barbecue, quick, probiotic, 10 ingredients or less, gluten free, keto, dairy free, nut free, soy free, 15 minutes or less