This light and frothy eggnog is a wonderful holiday tradition! With rum for the adults and cinnamon sticks for the kids, homemade healthy eggnog only takes only 5 minutes to make!
Two types of Eggnog
The other type of eggnog is uncooked. It only takes about 5 minutes to whip together and the result is a light and frothy drink. If you’ve never had this version of eggnog, I definitely recommend trying it! Particularly if you don’t usually like eggnog.
Here’s a short list of reasons why I prefer making a quick homemade eggnog.
- Once you’ve separated the eggs, it takes less than 5 minutes to whip up and serve.
- You probably already have all the ingredients in your kitchen.
- It uses whole eggs rather than a bunch of egg yolks, so it’s less wasteful.
- The flavor is every bit as delicious as custard eggnog, but it is much more drinkable.
- It’s perfect for making healthy eggnog.
A healthy eggnog
I originally wrote this recipe as a probiotic, milk kefir cultured eggnog. However, we’ve pretty much made it every year since the first version came out in 2014. Over time we’ve refined our version to be refined-sugar-free.
The result is a protein-packed, probiotic drink that is perfect for the holidays.
Since this is an uncooked eggnog, using cultured dairy will make it probiotic! All that you need to do is use cultured milk and/or whipping cream.
Here are a few options for cultured dairy:
- Milk kefir can be used to culture both the milk and the whipping cream.
- Yogurt is a fine replacement for the milk. Yogurt can also be used to replace the whipping cream. It will be lowere in fat, but it won’t have the rich, creamy flavor.
- Fermented buttermilk can also be used to culture the milk and the whipping cream.
- Cultured sour cream is probiotic. However, this recipe will not work with store-bought sour cream which has a lot of added thickeners. It’s perfect for homemade sour cream!
The holidays are a sugar-packed season. Why not take a break and make your eggnog sugar-free? While some sweetness is needed for the flavor, there are options.
- Lower sugar: Make eggnog that is healthier, by reducing sugar to 3 Tbsp.
- Fruit sweetened: Powdered dates are my sweetener of choice. While they do contain sugar, it is balanced by a dose of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. The only trick is to sift the powdered dates, as the larger pieces won’t mix into the eggnog.
- Alternative sweeteners: Feel free to use your favorite alternative sweetener. Just use the amount needed to replace 1/3 cup of sugar, or sweeten to taste.
Quick and Healthy Eggnog
Homemade eggnog is SOOO much tastier than store-bought. It is light, frothy, and as sweet as you like it. Use cultured dairy for a boost of probiotics!
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 7 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Beverages
- Method: uncooked
- Cuisine: Holiday
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup of sweetener, to taste (see notes)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 egg whites
- 3 ounces golden rum (optional)
- Beat egg yolks in a large bowl until the color starts to lighten.
- Add the sweetener into the egg yolks and stir until completely dissolved.
- Stir in milk, cream, and nutmeg.
- In a separate container whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve within 3 hours.
- Feel free to use your favorite sweetener in this recipe. I always use date sugar because I’m like that… However, powdered white sugar is sweeter and will dissolve better.
- Why not make probiotic eggnog? See the section above for details.
- If you want to make a whole batch of spiked eggnog, add the rum directly into the yolk mixture. Otherwise, leave it out so that your guests can add it to their drinks.
- Because of the health risks associated with the consumption of raw eggs, this recipe is not recommended for pregnant women, children under the age of 1 year, or anyone who may be immunocompromised.
Keywords: Christmas, holiday, keto, gluten free, sugar free, healthy, quick, kefir eggnog, probiotic eggnog