A glass full of eggnog is wonderful holiday a tradition! With rum for the adults and a cinnamon stick for the kids, what could be more enjoyable? Best of all, my favourite recipe only takes only 5 minutes to make!
Two types of Eggnog
There are two different ways of making eggnog. The more common eggnog is a thicker, cooked, custard-based eggnog. This is what is sold in the grocery stores, since the cooking process avoids the use of raw eggs. It is a thick and sweet eggnog.
By comparison, uncooked eggnog is a light and frothy drink. If you’ve never had this version of eggnog, I definitely recommend trying it! Here’s a short list of the reasons why I love probiotic eggnog:
- It is super quick to make. It takes about 5 minutes.
- You probably already have all the ingredients in your kitchen.
- It uses whole eggs rather than a bunch of egg yolks.
- It has the same delicious flavour, but it’s a much more drinkable treat.
- Since it’s not cooked you can use cultured dairy for a good dose of probiotics!
Quick Probiotic Eggnog
Homemade eggnog is SOOO much tastier than store bought. It is light, frothy, and as sweet as you like it. This eggnog is also probiotic!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Beverages
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 egg whites
- 3 ounces golden rum (optional)
- Beat egg yolks in a large bowl until the colour starts to lighten.
- Add in sugar and stir until completely dissolved.
- Stir in milk, cream, and nutmeg.
- In a separate container whip egg whites with 1 tbsp sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Stir egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and serve immediately or refrigerate and serve within 3 hours.
- I used powdered date sugar because I’m like that… However, powdered white sugar is traditional and will dissolve better. You could use any alternative powdered sweetener in this recipe.
- Use cultured milk, yogurt and/or cream for a probiotic drink!
- If you want to make a whole batch of spiked eggnog, add the rum into the yolk mixture. Otherwise leave it out so that your guests can add it to their individual drinks.
Keywords: Christmas, probiotic, keto, gluten free, sugar free, healthy