Hearty miso soup is perfect for when you need something quick, healthy and warming. It’s a delicious vegetarian substitute for the classic comfort of chicken soup, it is nourishing, probiotic and easy to digest.
Immune Boosting Soup
This miso soup is perfect when you have a cold or flu. It is quick and easy to make and is full of immune boosting properties:
- Garlic, ginger, seaweed and a mix of vegetables for a vitamin-rich health-boost.
- Miso paste for a dose of probiotic goodness.
- Raw coloured peppers for vitamin C.
Hearty Miso Soup
Hearty miso soup is a quick, healthy and delicious meal. Filled with vegetables, tofu and noodles, and topped with fermented miso for a dose of probiotics.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 cups of broth
- 2 cups of carrots, chopped
- 2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp of diced seaweed (wakame is traditional)
- 1/2 lbs of noodles (sweet potato, rice or buckwheat soba)
- 2 cup of sweet peas
- 1 block of firm tofu, diced
- 1/2 cup miso paste, mixed into 1 cup of water
- 1 sweet coloured pepper, diced
- 3 spring onions, diced
- Saute ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add the carrots and mushrooms and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and wakame. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Then add noodles and tofu, simmer until the noodles are cooked (about 7 min).
- Turn off the heat and stir in the sweet peas.
- Mix miso paste with 1 cup of water until it is smooth. Then stir the miso into the soup and season to taste (it will depend on the saltiness of your miso).
- Garnish with diced peppers and spring onion.
- This soup is perfect for swapping ingredients. Replace the noodles with wantons. Swap the sweet peas for finely shredded cabbage or bok choy. Replace the tofu with chunks of tempeh or cooked chicken. Mix and match for your own creation!
- To add a dose of probiotics to your soup use either homemade miso or buy miso with a live culture.
Keywords: miso soup, vegan, gluten free, healthy