Date caramel sauce is the perfect sugar-free alternative to traditional caramel sauce. Dates provide both the sweetness and the rich caramelly flavour.
A Sauce for Many Occasions
Date caramel sauce is a delicious sugar-free sweet treat that is perfect for most desserts:
- Leave it thin and runny as a glaze for an apple coffee cake.
- Whip it until it has a custard-like consistency and pour it over ice cream, cobbler or torta di mele.
- Dip apple slices in it for a healthy after school treat.
- If you are using whipping cream, then you can whip it into a frosting! Just increase the whipping cream to 1/2 cup and keep beating it in the blender until you have a thick, whipped cream frosting. Perfect for a healthy layer cake!
A probiotic Treat
Date caramel sauce can be made with whipping cream or coconut milk for a vegan alternative. Because it isn’t cooked, it’s a great way to get a little extra probiotics into your diet.Print
Date Caramel Sauce
Sugar-free and healthy date caramel sauce is creamy caramel perfection. With only 2 ingredients, it’s easy to make. Use it as a frosting, glaze or dip.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 8 minutes
- Yield: 3/4 cup 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Simple
- Cuisine: Sugar Free
- 4 large medjool dates, pits removed
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of whipping cream or coconut cream (see notes for details)
- Place dates and water in a blender, and pulse until you have a smooth paste.
- Add in the whipping cream or coconut cream, and continue to pulse until smooth. Whipping cream will continue to thicken the more it is blended, so stop at the right consistency for a sauce, dip or frosting (see above for more information.)
- Store the date sauce in a jar in the fridge and use within 1 week.
- To make a thick vegan date frosting use 1/2 cup of coconut cream instead of the water and whipping cream. Pulse until smooth and thick.
- It is important to use the large, soft medjool dates in this recipe. Other dried dates won’t be as caramelly sweet.
- I only have a regular blender, so my sauce dates didn’t get quite as smooth as they would if I had a Vitamix or Ninja blender (affiliate links.)
Keywords: vegan, gluten free, sugar free, coconut, healthy, probiotic, frosting, icing, dip, glaze, party, holiday, celebration, 2-ingredient, 10 minutes or less