Salty beet kvass has a salty, sweet and sour flavour that is surprisingly refreshing when chilled before serving. It reminds me of a clear Polish-style borscht, and makes an excellent mid-afternoon snack.
What is beet kvass?
Kvass is Russian word for a simple fermented sparkling beverage. Beer likely originated from a sourdough bread kvass. Brad’s Doukhobor cookbooks always have a recipe for cucumber kvass. And beet kvass is a simple beverage made from fermented beets. It can be made salty or sweet, depending on whether you use salt or honey to control the fermentation.
Though I occasionally make sweet beet kvass, and I usually have a jar of immune boosting beet kvass in my fridge all winter long, salty beet kvass is my favourite. It is like drinking a mix between a chilled soup and a salty beverage. I particularly like having a glass as a delicious and satisfying mid-afternoon snack.
It’s also handy as a starter for other ferments, though you will end up with a purple hue. I personally like using kvass to make purple fermented eggs.Print
Salty Beet Kvass
This is a salty and sour beet-based fermented beverage that is perfectly refreshing. Like drinking Polish borscht!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: Beverages
- Method: Fermented
- Cuisine: Polish
- 2–4 beets washed, and diced into cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup of starter culture (see notes)
- 1/2 tbsp salt (non-iodized)
- Filtered water to cover (chlorine free)
- Sterilize a quart-sized jar, and fill it with the beet cubes.
- Dissolve the salt in 1/2 cup of water, pour over the beets with the starter, and add more water to cover.
- Use a weight to keep the beets submerged, top with a lid, and allow to ferment somewhere cool for 1 week.
- Store in the fridge and consume within 1 month.
- I used whey as my starter, but you could also use sauerkraut juice or a purchased starter.
- You can also flavour the kvass by adding fresh dill and garlic (for a borscht flavour). Brad enjoys adding a stick of celery and drinking it like an vegetable juice!
- If you’re interested in the health benefits of beet kvass check out Wellness Mama’s post all about it.
Keywords: healthy, probiotic, kvass, keto, paleo, vegan, summer, fall, winter