Desserts are fun! Ice cream is fun! And banana sweetened ice cream is really fun! It uses the natural sweetness of bananas for a sugar-free treat that is healthy and delicious.
A Probiotic Treat
It’s so easy to culture milk and whipping cream that I pretty much only use pre-cultured dairy. This recipe is a perfect way to get a dose of probiotics. The tartness of cultured dairy is balanced by the natural sweetness of fruit, and freezing won’t harm the probiotic culture. The easiest way to culture whipping cream is with a room temperature culture. Simply add the culture to your whipping cream, and leave it for 6-24 hours, depending on how sour you want it.
Here are a few room temperature (mesophilic) dairy cultures that you could use to make probiotic whipping cream:
This ice cream is perfect for all sorts of different fruit flavours. Here are a few of my favourite recommendations.
- Simply banana: Don’t add any extra fruit for a straight up banana ice cream. Banana ice cream is delicious topped with nuts and caramel date sauce.
- Orange: Use the zest and juice from 1 orange for an orange creamsicle flavour.
- Strawberry cream: Add 1 cup of fresh ripe strawberries.
- Peaches and cream: Add 1 cup of ripe, juicy peaches.
- Blueberry pie: Add 1 cup of blueberries and serve with an ice cream cone.
Banana Sweetened Ice Cream
Ice cream doesn’t have to be an unhealthy indulgence. Here is a recipe for a banana sweetened ice cream that is sugar-free, probiotic and delicious! Flavour it with blueberry, strawberry, orange or peach for a healthy summer treat.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 3 bananas
- 2 cups of whipping cream
- 1 cup of fresh fruit (see section above for suggestions)
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until it is completely smooth.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so the ingredients are cold.
- Follow the instructions on your ice cream maker to churn your ice cream.
- Transfer to an air-tight container and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.
- This recipe is for a 1.4L ice cream machine. I own this ice cream maker (affiliate link.) I’ve had it for years and absolutely love it.
- This ice cream can be difficult to serve directly from the freezer. Allow it to thaw for 20 minutes before serving.
Keywords: probiotic, healthy, sugar free, fruit, orange, summer