Morning glory muffins are the perfect on-the-go breakfast for those mornings when you have to get out of the house early. They are also great as a snack or to take along while traveling. Healthy and filling, morning glory muffins are made with carrots, apples, nuts and seeds. I usually double the recipe to make 2 dozen muffins and freeze them so that I always have a quick and healthy snack available to pack in a school lunch bag.
Prefermenting flour improves the digestibility of baked goods. It also gives these muffin a nice tangy flavour, however, it’s not necessary for this recipe, so feel free to skip it if you are short on time.Print
Morning Glory Muffins
Morning glory muffins are perfect for breakfasts on the go, school lunches or snacks. These muffins can easily be adapted to be sugar free.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Fermented
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour (see notes for substitutions)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated apple
- 1/4 cup honey (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Optional Add Ins
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup dried fruit
- If you want to preferment your flour, mix the flour and the buttermilk in a glass mixing bowl. Leave the batter on the counter to ferment for 4-24 hours.
- When you are ready to bake the muffins, mix all of the remaining the ingredients into the flour and buttermilk.
- Bake at 350F (180 C) for 25 minutes, or until cooked through and browning on the top.
- If you don’t have oat flour on hand, use any wholegrain flour, like brown rice, rye, spelt or wholewheat. Alternatively, you can grind rolled oats in a food processor until it is flour-like.
- Though this recipe calls for buttermilk, you could use milk kefir, sour cream or yogurt.
- Feel free to replace the honey in this recipe with your favourite sweetener. Personally, I like date sugar (affiliate link.) You can also replace the honey with a mashed banana, which will provide a bit of extra sweetness.
Keywords: sugar free, breakfast, healthy, soaked, prefermented, fall, winter, spring